Saturday, August 2, 2014

Why Draw

Now there was a group where we had to tell our names and explain as to why we paint/draw!

I got up ..told my name and as to the question 'why do I draw'? I went blank. All I could give was a nervous and a real amused laugh! Nervous because I was blank and amused because of the answers I had heard before 'I am passionate about drawing'..'I like design'..I want to draw because I am preparing for NIFT/NID entrance etc etc..And I really couldnt think of any smarter answer...

I thought while was standing and I really thought..Passionate? Naah... Design ? Naaah...Love drawing ? Naah...

Why do I draw?

I could give a million answers and they all would be wrong. I really cant put a finger on why I draw..!
But I do draw obsessively..

 I draw on my organiser..I draw on newspaper...I draw on office post it notes..When I see a figure I am subconciously looking at the veins and muscles fold and thinking how to get the 'stretch' feeling on paper. I look at a begger and start having a high contrast visions of his wrinkled face...

I draw ..well..not because I want to ..I draw because I cant stop.
Like its with writing I guess..

No really. There is really no hocus pocus to it...Frankly I feel drawing kind of detoxifies me. It gives me a period of immense meditation for atleast 10 mins (yeah thats the most i spend on any drawing)..It makes me feel light..infact when I draw I sometimes forget everything outside..Only light and shadows remain...

So let me put it this way..

I draw because words aernt enough..Period.





No comments: