Friday, June 19, 2009

The most beautiful women..Ac to me

A few days ago I asked some one I knew.."who do u think is the most beautiful woman ever to represent female sexuality on bollywood " ...The answer was a certain "Madhubala". I beg to disagree.

I was very specific in my question "female sexuality" . No I did not mean skin show(although frankly ..its someones skin ..and I do not see the problem in showing any skin,if its beautiful that is..). Anyway what I meant was a woman who filled the screen with "feminine presence " when she used to be there. A presence which was tangible and sensual even while fleeting and momentary.

A woman whose "womanness" was so beautiful that it made you fall in love with not only her but with the beauty of idea of a woman. An idea that is strong,and soft alternating in its feel to drive you to a level of conciousness where you feel the alternating void and fullness of pure and unadulterated happiness.

A woman who was ,as all great things are, was more than the sum of her parts. She was more than the sum of her eyes ,nose or skin..She was more than her dance, she was more than her acting skills. She was simply more. As if , even if she would just stand in front of the camera , the joy of seeing her would not be diminished.

I do not think Madhubala was all that. She was a fair sack of super fine flour. Her smile was asymetric and everytime she tried to "love" the camera the scene fell flat. She was the Aishwarya Rai equivalent of yesteryears.Always swooning..always sighing..Maannnnnn that is SO irritating if one does that 24/7. Meena kumari was a good actress but here I am talking about physical and sensual beauty and frankly I always felt she looked like a leper with makeup. We shall leave Zeenat Aman and Parvin Babi out of our discussion because frankly although I do not dislike bikinis...Sometimes overdoin it takes away the mystery of the whole idea ..and a woman dumb enough to not realise that deserves my sympathy ..not admiration.

The only one who came close to my idea of being wat I wrote in the first few paragraphs was Shabana Azmi. Especially the way "Arth" revolved around her(Arth revolved around her..say that aloud). But somewhere she died down as she plateaued.

I feel that a lot of women in bollywood are pretty, and I am not one of those "golden days fan" . Yes most of the heroines are pretty ,but there is n important difference in being pretty and beaing beautiful.

The difference is that of "mystery" . Which is in a way of saying that if you are intelligent enough to create illusions than that adds to the prettiness

Prettiness+ Mystery= Sensuality

So now who do I think is that woman? Hmmmm...Lets see She was the same women to whom RajKapoor sang "Duniya Banane wale ..kya tere mann mein samayi". Indeed "kya cheez banayi"(thats my line..sorry for the cheap hindi ending)

No comments: